Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Today I felt like prqcticing 6-3-08

     I've been working at the piano for some time now;  my specialty is jazz.  I like Wayne Shorter, Miles, Herbie Hancock, Taylor Eigsty, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, and all the other musicians from the bebop era.  I like smooth jazz also, but it has its limits for me.  It's not adventurous, groundbreaking,
     My love affair with jazz started years ago when I was a child.  My father was a musician.  He played in the Santa Barbara area in the 1930's.  He played Latin music: Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican.  It was a string orchestra and they dressed with hip pants, with the flared trousers--bell sottoms with  hats that had those little balls hanging from the brim all around.  I think there is a special name for those hats, but I don't know what it is. 
     I remember my father playing the guitar with a very rhythmic style, a strum and slap on the strings.  I must have been about three or four years old.   Still, though I liked it, I preferred "American" music.  I didn't know what that was, but if I had to play something, it would have been American music.    And it had to be a trumpet.  Even as a child I thought that was so cool.   It wasn't until much later---well a few years, maybe ten years,--I was fourteen years old when my father got me a trumpet.  Big band jazz influenced popular music when I was a teenager, in the fifties.  There was Woody Herman, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Billy Mays, Ray Anthony, all good musicians with good bands.  I was enamored with what I imagined was the lifestyle that traveling musicians enjoyed.  Then  I heard Miles Davis play.  Wow!  I was blown away by his sound.  I had very defined ideas of what I wanted to hear on the trumpet, and Miles' playing was certainly it.   




Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

No comments: